Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The not-delayed delayed flight.

Monday night saw me traveling back home from San Diego. I was flying Southwest so the boarding procedure was the "group system". I printed out my boarding pass the night before, so I got to stand in the "A" line. In front of me was a woman, probably in her 50s, who was talking loudly on her cel phone. She sort of reminded me of Dame Judi Dench, only not British.


Not-Dame Judi also kept fidgeting with her two bags that she could never seem to balance correctly. I wondered why she insisted on keeping them stacked together as opposed to letting them lie on the ground separately while we waited to board.

But it wasn't her bag-fidgetiness that bothered me, it was more the fact that she really had no consideration for the people around her as she yapped away loudly on her phone. I don't know who she was talking to, but when she told the person on the other line, "...my flight has been delayed about a half hour," my hatred for her was sealed.

Of course the flight wasn't delayed. She was staring right at the sign on the gate that said "Flight 979, 8:25pm, ON TIME."

What a freakin' LIAR. She stayed on the phone with the person up until we boarded the plane and then finished her call with, "...gotta go, I'm getting on the plane now." What? Didn't you just tell the person your flight was delayed a half hour?

I can only hope the people she was supposed to be visiting weren't too jazzed about seeing her anyway.

2 comments:

Tsuji Eriku said...

travelling during the holiday season sucks

V.A. Jeffrey said...

The worst is the Chicago O'Hare airport. That is the very pit of flight-delay hell.

Dame Judi Dench is a goddess!

Carry on.