Monday, May 23, 2005

Champion of the Day: Cafe Poseur Lady

One of the things that annoys me about cafe customers is that they'll make up drinks. They'll just pull some sort of concoction out of their asses. A lot of this is because of Starbucks. Their tall/grande/venti bullshit has people brainwashed. I always give people a sideways look when they ask for a "tall latte" as opposed to a "small". Oh, and don't be fooled by their "caramel machiatto" -- it's really a caramel latte. A real machiatto is a shot or two of espresso with a dab of steamed milk foam on top - that's all.

So this lady walked in the other day and said to me, "I'll have an iced double espresso with foam." Iced? With foam? I repeated her order and she nodded, and when I brought up that I'd have to steam some milk, she said, "...no steamed milk please."

My eye twitched.

That had to be the stupidest order I ever heard. I wanted to jump over the counter and shake this lady. Instead I explained that in order to make foam, I would have to steam some milk. I didn't even go into how pointless it was to have foam AND ice in the same drink. She just sort of stared at me and said, "Oh yeah." So I made her little drink and made her watch me add the foam so she could tell me the "right amount."

After I gave her the drink, she walked over to the condiment bar and proceeded to fill the rest of her cup with non-fat milk. Nice, dumbass. You just made an iced non-fat latte. I really wish people would just stick to the menu instead of trying to make up a drink -- you just end up looking stupid, and all the cafe workers know you're an idiot.

At least making fun of dumb customers with my co-workers makes this part-time job semi-worthwhile.

No comments: