Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Hitchhiker's Guide and almond soap.

I tweaked my knee while at the gym yesterday so it was a little tender to walk on today. I showed up at Bay Street Mall and parked over by the theater. I was still early for the movie, so I wanted to swing by the Body Shoppe and pick up some soap. Really, I'm being serious - a few weeks ago I tried out some of their face wash for men and I really liked it, so I wanted to go back for some soap. Not the foo-foo stuff, I went to the tiny little men's section and picked up some almond soap. There was a 5 for $12 special going on, so I made sure to stock up.

I think the soap stacking policy is pretty stupid at the Body Shoppe. The soaps looked nice, wrapped only in Saran-style plastic wrap, but they were displayed in an unstable pyramid formation. I swear I barely touched the top bar when half the stack came tumbling down. Just great. I made a mental note to remember to complain to somebody at Body Shoppe corporate about the lack of training their staff had at stacking non-square shapes into a pyramid.

After picking up the fallen soap, but purposely not restacking them into a pyramid, I paid for my items (all the while fending off the cashier's attempts to get me to join their discount card program --"No! I don't want the card. It's already bad enough I'm a guy in a foo-foo store, just please let me pay for my soap so I can hobble out of here on my bad knee!")

I was still early for the movie so I put the stuff I bought in my car and then headed to the theater to meet my friends. After a few minutes of waiting I get a call on my cell from one of my friends. She was aggravated. There was a blur of words to the effect that her boyfriend forgot about the movie. She was supposed to pick him up at BART, but instead he was on a bus and she was headed on an intercept course to pick him up. That sounded pretty excitng to me - I was hoping he'd jump out the bus window onto the roof of her car, and then he'd just car surf all the way down the street. So while they played out their very cool real life action movie, I went ahead into the theater to wait for them there.

How was the movie? Eh. It really made me want to read the book, because it felt like I was missing a lot of the story. It was like the script for this movie was actually the CliffsNotes version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Sam Rockwell was great, and Mos Def did okay, too - but the whole thing seemed a little "cutesy" when I expected something a little darker.

No comments: