Saturday, July 16, 2005

Freefall Jones, the friendly jerk.

One of the things that really gives me a slow burn is unprepared people at the post office. These are the people who get up to the window and never have any idea what they're doing. They never know what forms they need filled out. They're mailing a shitload of packages, but don't know any of the zip codes. The list of ingorance goes on and on.

This morning I got caught behind three of these idiots. Dumbass #1 had a pile of about 10 small packages he needed to insure, but waited to find out how much it cost to mail the packages before he added the insurance -- so he got stuck standing at the window filling out one form for each package.

Dumbass #2 had some unwrapped items she had no idea how she wanted to send. She asked to see her shipping options, and after choosing Priority shipping, she asked the cashier to go ahead and wrap those up! What the F? You could feel the whole line of waiting customers burning a hole that lady's back with our imaginary heat vision. The cashier pointed her to the forms table where she could stuff the items in the FREE PRIORITY ENVELOPES that were available. The girl gave an embarrassed "oh" and then made the walk of shame past the line to the table -- but of course they let her cut straight back to the front of the line after she finished getting her shit together.

As for Dumbass #3 -- I had no idea what was going on there. It was some lady standing there filling out some form while the casher just sat there waiting. The dumbass was there when I got there, and she was there when I left.

By the time I worked my way up to the front, I was lucky to have a new cashier come out to open up another window. She smiled and asked how I was doing. I said I was great and that I just wanted to mail my package Priority with Delivery Confirmation. She said, "That's easy enough," with a big smile.

I could kind of feel what she was getting at, so I said, "Yeah I try to be prepared when I come here so things go smoothly."

Then she said, "We love that kind of customer," and she didn't stop rubbing it in, "...sometimes people come up here and just hand us their stuff expecting us to do everything for them," but she said it very friendly with a big grin. That was hilarious. The cashiers must have had a to deal with a bunch of idiots that morning for her to vent like that.

When I left, the three other Dumbasses were still stuck at their windows, and it felt good helping to make them look like idiots.

No comments: