Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I found the taco truck.

I’d always heard about an elusive taco truck in Emeryville. A few friends and co-workers had mentioned it, and although none of them had ever gotten food from it, they’d heard through other friends that the food was actually quite good considering it came from a “roach coach.” They're probably called roach coaches because their arrival is heralded by their horns blaring the tune of La Cucaracha.

I’d never seen the taco truck, but I’d seen the various other food trucks peddling their cold drinks, snacks, and fried meat goodies. But one day after running errands, I was driving back to work on 40th Ave. and noticed a food truck on the side of the road with a crowd of people standing alongside of it. My eyes bulged. Was this it? Was this the legendary taco truck?

I quickly looked for parking -- all the spaces on the curb next to the truck were taken, so I had to park around the corner. This had to be it, right? I mean, why were there so many people here? Construction workers, office people, Home Depot employees... it was weird to see people converging on one food truck. And when I saw people ordering enchiladas and burritos, I knew this was the right truck. I quickly scanned the menu, --food trucks are great because the food is cheap-- and placed my order.

There was something kind of cool about standing in front of a taco truck waiting for my $4 carne asada quesadilla. No fancy lunch, just a bunch of office grunts standing around waiting for their order to be called. I felt like starting up some sort of water cooler-type conversation, but I wasn't sure if anyone would want to talk about those jerky hunks showing up on Average Joe.

No comments: